AQUATOX is the only general ecological risk model that represents the combined environmental fate and effects of conventional pollutants, such as nutrients and sediments, and toxic chemicals in aquatic ecosystems. It considers several trophic levels, including attached and planktonic algae and submerged aquatic vegetation, invertebrates, and forage, bottom-feeding, and game fish; it also represents associated organic toxicants and mercury. It has been implemented for streams, ponds, lakes, and reservoirs.
For questions and comments about AQUATOX please utilize the AQUATOX Email Listserver.
AQUATOX is currently available for download from EPA as "EPA RELEASE 3"
Beyond what was in EPA Release 2.2, EPA RELEASE 3 includes:
- Linked segments
- Enhanced nutrients analysis, including
- nutrient release from sediments
- daily dissolved oxygen fluctuations
- toxicity from low oxygen and ammonia
- Capability to simulate biological effects of suspended and bedded sediments
- Calculation of biological metrics
- Enhanced sensitivity and uncertainty analyses
- PFA (perfluorinated acids) model
- Estuary version
- ICE (Interspecies Correlation Estimates)
- Layered sediments
- Hourly time-step
EPA DOWNLOAD SITE
DIRECT LINK TO OPEN SOURCE CODE