News:

Due to SPAM attacks, new members must be approved before posting.  Please email jclough@warrenpinnacle.com when registering and your account will be approved.

Main Menu

hypothetical max accretion rates?

Started by David M, April 07, 2011, 09:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David M

Hi,

I'm a graduate student at San Jose State University. I'm currently working on a seminar paper involving SLR for the SF Bay Area. A key part of the topic I'm exploring is the relationship between SLR rates and marsh accretion rates. Local studies on SLR have assumed that future SLR rates will outstrip SF Bay marsh accretion but no data was given for that assumption.

My current (limited) understanding of the marsh accretion process is that it is constrained primarily by available sediment input and responds in line with increasing inundation. Meaning as water levels gradually rise the marsh accretes to keep pace as long as there is sediment available. What I would like to know is, is there a method for determining the maximum potential accretion rate a particular marsh may have?

My goal with this paper is to answer the question, "how could one evaluate the assertion that local marsh sedimentation will not keep pace with SLR rates? Can a hypothetical maximum accretion rate be determined for marshes?".

I realize this is not strictly related to the SLAMM model but I thought this might be good place to ask. I had initially intended to actually run the SLAMM model to test this question but I don't think the time I have available would allow for the work required. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Jonathan S. Clough

This is an old thread but this paper comes to mind:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2010GL045489/pdf

Limits on the adaptability of coastal marshes to rising sea level
Matthew L. Kirwan, Glenn R. Guntenspergen, Andrea D'Alpaos, James T. Morris, Simon M. Mudd andStijn Temmerman
Geophysical Research Letters
Volume 37, Issue 23, December 2010