News:

Due to SPAM attacks, new members must be approved before posting.  Please email jclough@warrenpinnacle.com when registering and your account will be approved.

Main Menu

Salinity Raster

Started by epihua, May 16, 2013, 02:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epihua

In page 37 of SLAMM 6.2 Technical Documentation, the map of Predicted Mean Tide Level Salinities for Port Susan Bay looks great. In my case, areas of estuarine water in the salinity raster are NODATA. Any suggestions?

I would be much appreciate it if someone can kindly share a picture about how to set the freshwater boundary and pathway.

Thanks!

Jonathan S. Clough

The SLAMM salinity module is somewhat woefully underdocumented.  This is partially on purpose as it is somewhat experimental in nature.  However, we have more faith in the model after having recently successfully calibrated it to spatial salinity data in all five major Georgia estuaries.  Nonetheless it remains a "steady-state" salinity module and not a hydrodynamic model which is the consensus state of the art.

There are many additional data requirements as well as a requirement to carefully define the geometry of the salt wedge.  A "classic salt wedge" estuary is required for the model to be valid.  You need bathymetry data for all water sources in the model domain.  I bet that's the reason for your NODATA responses. 

If you are still interested in trying to apply the model after all those caveats, I'll try to start to work up a rough users manual for its implementation. 

We have also recently developed multiple linkages to external salinity models (one linkage by raster maps and one by river mile) so that may also be an option for your project if you want to apply a more general and typical salinity model.

Best regards

epihua

Thanks so much! I am particularly interested in "multiple linkages to external salinity models (one linkage by raster maps and one by river mile)". Look forward to seeing the related documentary in the near future!

Elena V

Hi Jonathan,
Is the Georgia SLAMM report publicly available? I'd be interested to read about how the salinity module was implemented and calibrated there. Are there any updates on the salinity documentation?

Also, do the SLAMM salinity maps show surface salinities, since that's what most vegetation comes in contact with? Or is it some water column average value?

I will follow up with a new thread about applicability of the salinity module.
Thank you!
Elena